Honesty: The first step to healthy living

>> Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"We look at friends who have lost dangerous amounts of weight or have added ungainly pounds and we say 'you're looking good.' Everybody knows this statement is a blatant lie, but we all swallow the untruth in part to keep the peace and in part because we do not wish to deal with the truth.

I wish we could stop these little lies. I don't mean that one has to be brutally frank. I don't believe that we should be brutal about anything, however it is wonderfully liberating to be honest..."


This is a line that I recently came across from Maya Angelou's book, Letter to My Daughter. She was referring to the manner in which people greet one another when they say "How are you?" followed by the standard "Fine thank you, and you?"
She was commenting on how these lines are used as a conversation starter, and how afraid we've become to tell people how we're really feeling because it could lead to being a conversation stopper.

When I read this I immediately thought about two things.

First is the way we communicate with one another about our needs.

Why aren't we more honest with one another about what's going on in our lives?

Why do we feel so awkward, uncomfortable or even embarrassed to tell someone that we need help?


As a society have we become so terrified of criticism and judgment that we not dare share our true thoughts and feelings?

The second thought that came to mind were the clients in our fitness programs. I thought about how honest they are with themselves and the world. It doesn't matter if they have 5lbs or 50lbs to lose, they have made the commitment to want something better for themselves.

They are brave in their actions.

No longer are they going to be the self-loathing person who blames work, lack of time, or limited funds as the reasons for their health suffering.

They are champions for change.

In my manual, "4 Simple Steps to Slim Down Success," I have a section called Reality Check. In it I state that before you run out to join a gym, sign up for a fitness class, or buy the latest in-home workout video, stop and ask yourself the following questions:

1. Who or What is motivating me to make this change?
2. What do I want to gain from this experience?
3. Who do I want to have supporting me through this journey?
4. Are the goals that I've set for myself realistic?
5. Am I truly ready to commit to this lifestyle change?
6. What forms of fitness do I see myself doing every week?
7. Am I open to trying new foods?
8. Am I prepared to work reasonable hours and get enough rest at night?
9. Am I ready to make my health a priority?
10. Am I ready to get started today?

If you are able to answer these questions with honesty you will have a better idea of what type of fitness and nutrition path you should be on.

I was recently speaking with Stacy, one of our super star Slim Down participants. Stacy has lost 25lbs and looks amazing. When I asked her how she was able to stay so focused, she simply answered that she made an emotional and mental commitment.

In other words, she was ready for change because she was honest with her self.

Stacy was able to see big results with our program, but this is about finding what works for you. There are no cookie cutter approaches to healthy living because you are a unique individual.

Answer the above questions with complete honesty and I think
you'll find what type of healthy living path you should be on.

Have a happy and healthy day.

1 comments:

Faiza March 24, 2010 at 6:48 AM  

"There are no cookie cutter approaches to healthy living because you are a unique individual."

Thank you for that piece of honesty Emil.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP